You are invited to ... follow - connect - link - add

Blogger - Tumblr - Facebook - Twitter - Pinterest - Linkedin - Google + - YouTube - Instagram

Contact me by email to talk about Websites, Social Media, Public Relations

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie & HTML

Photo credit: Creative Commons: Flicker Wonderyort

My grandmother grew rhubarb in her garden in Wisconsin. It read cold, crisp, Fall-moving-quickly-into-winter. Harvest before the hard frost.

We never experienced "rhubarb," except when we were visiting Grandma Irene. She made strawberry-rhubarb preserves - heavenly, sweet and tart and certainly not fancy, out of well-worn Mason jars, on toast for a freezing Wisconsin morning - and strawberry-rhubarb pie. Her pie was perfect. Not a work of art like Baker's Square; but real pie, made with shortening and garden grown produce, kind of flat and not so gorgeous, certainly not a "photo op." But it was real. And I remember it was wonderful and exotic, a Wisconsin country-kind of exotic. Flavors that growing up in Europe didn't even began to prepare me for.

So here, as promised to my colleagues at PC Professor, is a starting point for Strawberry-Rhubarb pie.

All of these sound excellent. I've never (or rarely) made the same pie twice. I'm more like Lewis & Clark in the kitchen, always seeking new territories. Here's what I look for in strawberry-rhubarb pie:

cinnamon (great in the crust)
sugar sprinkled top
more rhubarb than strawberry
a thickening agent - due to the "watery" issue ... tapioca is wonderful ...

so let's go ... I have to select the one I'm making next, too ...

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe
Lattice-topped Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
Deep-Dish Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
Southern Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Let me know how it goes! And if I find REAL rhubarb in the Publix close to me, I'll let you know!


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

My fave shopping portal